Why I Love My Brother...

November 8th marks the 7th year anniversary of the passing of my brother Tyler... for those that didn't know him and for those who did, here are some fun memories and reasons why I love my big brother.

  • When we were little we loved to get cap guns for the 4th of July and play cowboys and Indians together.
  • One summer morning, when we were probably 12 and 14, Tyler came in my room and told me that he could balance a rake on his chin. When I told him I didn't believe him, he told me to look out my bedroom window- when he knocked on my window a couple of minutes later, sure enough he had a full-size garden rake balanced on his chin.
  • One time at the cabin with my dad and brothers we were playing charades and Tyler jumped on my dad while he was laying on the couch (book: Hop on Pop) I laughed so hard.
  • When I was 5 years old we were on swim team together and I was scared of the deep end. One day the swim coaches decided to mix up everyones' swim lanes and I was put right next to the deep end; I was too scared and I wouldn't swim past it, I just held on to the side of the pool. The coaches made everyone get out of the pool and said that no one could get back in until I finished my lap. I remember crying and saying that I was too scared. Finally the coach let Tyler bring me a kickboard to finish my lap. I don't remember exactly what Tyler told me when he brought me the kickboard but I do remember that he made me feel like I could do it... I don't think I've ever kicked so fast in my life.
  • When I was 16, my friend Kellee and I were sleeping out on the tramp; our guy friends came to pick us up in the middle of the night to go toilet papering. Tyler noticed us sneeking away and followed us in his car, scared us and told us to go back home. The next morning mom asked Tyler where he had gone in the middle of the night- when he claimed he didn't go anywhere- she said she noticed his car had moved places in the driveway; Tyler didn't rat me out and instead claimed he had gone to 7-Eleven or some place like that (of course I felt too guilty and immediately confessed).
  • When I was around 10 years old my mom took me to the doctor because I had a hard lump in my arm. Apparantly it was just some tissue damage from receiving so many 'dead arms'. After we came home and Tyler found out, I can honestly say that, with one exception a couple of years later, he never hit me again (the one exception I totally deserved because he was going to help me up on the tramp and I purposely pulled him off the edge to be funny... he landed on his head and gave me the worst dead leg I've ever had) .
  • The day Tyler got his drivers license he took me driving at Skyline's parking lot... he told me that I needed a couple of years of practice.
  • When we were younger and my dad would take us skiing, Tyler and I would race from the upper lifts of Alta (where the bunny hills are) down to the lodge. I only beat him one time and that was because he fell and broke his collar bone on our last run of the day.
  • When I was 14 and had some mouth surgery, I was in bed and pretty drugged up- I heard some stirring in my room and I half-opened my eyes. Tyler was tying a bouquet of balloons to my bed post. Of course I quickly closed my eyes and neither one of us ever said anything about it (we didn't talk about feelings much with each other).
  • While he was on his mission Tyler sent me the best birthday present ever. It was a birthday card that on the outside read: "It's Your Birthday, Sister! I'm always telling other people how great I think you are..." And the inside read "Today, I'm telling you. Happy Birthday". He went on to write me a note about how he loves me and prays for me. He shared his testimony with me and gave me a scripture to read. 9 Years lster and that card is one of my most prized possessions (like I said, we didn't talk about feelings much with each other).
  • Lastly, with his passing, Tyler taught me to be much more forgiving, less judgmental, and more kind to everyone; you never know what people are going through or what kind of a day someone has had. Because of his life I am a better person, friend, wife, daughter, and mother. How grateful I am for Jesus Christ and His restored Gospel that makes it possible for me to be with my brother again.

14 comments:

lil megan said...

Kimi-
that was an amazing tribute to your brother, and way to make me cry!! I was really touched by some of the things you said, and I am really sorry for your loss.
Love, Megs

The Shepherds said...

What an amazing post!! And what great memories, you are so blessed to have had such a wonderful relationship with your brother, that's awesome!!
Love ya,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Kimi,

Of all the things in this world you have said,,,for as long as I have known you This was the BEST!!!

Uncle Cory

Anne Woods said...

That was beautiful Kimmy. He is so lucky to have a sister who loves him so much. Way to keep his memory alive.

Karen said...

I loved reading this post because I could picture every one of these moments between you and Tyler perfectly. Some of those memories I have never heard before and reading them only made me love Tyler more! This post also made me recall my own memories of Tyler and how amazing he is. Thanks for sharing things so close to your heart!

Anonymous said...

Kimi,

That was fun to read and think back. You are a great sister. My favorite memory was when Tyler picked us up from tennis in the convertable and took us to get slurpees. I thought it was so cool/nice of him.
Have you moved into your new house? I'd love to walk over when you do.

Take Care!

Megs said...

Kimi,
He sounds like an amazing brother. Thanks for sharing and for reminding me not only how precious life is, but how precious each little moment is. Good and bad, we are always creating memories....really makes me want to create goods ones with the people I love. Thanks.

Jer + Lu said...

So sweet. Thanks for sharing such great memories. Growing up he was always such a tease-- it's nice to hear about those quieter acts of kindness :)

Team Box! said...

what an awesome tribute, He sounds like he was a great guy! Aren't we so lucky to know we will be with them again, forever. Thanks for expressing all your private, personal memories, it really touched me.

Annie K said...

That was a beautiful and optimistic post. Isn't the plan of salvation wonderful?

The Parks Fam said...

Kimi,
WOW!! that was an amazing post, I'm sitting here in tears! I can't imagine loosing my brother, but Im grateful for the gospel cause without it, I don't think anyone could go on without there loved ones. It's so nice to have so many awesome memories that you will cherish forever. Thanks for this post, I loved it!

Claire said...

We love you Kimi! We think about Tyler all of the time. We love him!

ps I am so excited I found your blog!

Kira said...

I think that helped all of us to truely appreciate those little memories we have that are so precious. What a positive tribute!

Amy said...

Kimi- thanks for the post! And way to go making me cry at work! Those are some great memories and such a sweet testimony, you are a fabulous example to me.
love ya