Hawaii- Day One

Thursday, April 17 Our first day in Hawaii...yeah!! We spent today on the island of Oahu with our friends, Mike and Shayla, who are also spending the week in Hawaii. Here are our highlights from the day:

  • Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve where we saw lots of beautiful fish and I spilled some cracker crumbs so our beachmats were invaded by pigeons.
  • Hiking Diamond Head Crater- the 271 stairs were killer, but the view from the top was amazing.
  • A session at the Laie Temple.
  • Talking to Tanner on the phone- he stopped riding bikes for all of two seconds to tell me "S-T-O-P says stop, love you, bye-bye". Obviously he's having as much as we are vacationing at Grandma's house.
  • Going to the Hukilau Cafe ("Oh we're going, to the Hukilau. The huki- huki- huki- Hukilau) but unfortunately it was closed. I'm pretty sure this is not the actual Hukilau Cafe as seen in the movie "50 First Dates".
  • Some Kalua Pork for dinner that was pretty tasty, though I was very disappointed when I ordered "a chilled half pineapple" and the server said that they were out of pineapple.
  • We flew to Kauai tonight and when we picked up our rental car, Andy asked how much the cost difference is between our economy car and a convertible and they told us it is $125 for the week. But then the lady told Andy that if he wanted a convertible he could just go pick one out and they wouldn't charge us extra. So for the week we have a cute yellow Mustang Convertible.
Thanks Mike and Shayla for a fun day on Oahu!!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

That's quite the jammed pack day! I'm so jealous! Have fun :)

Kira said...

We went last year to Oahu and LOVED it. We are so jealous of you! Have a great time!

newsinaminute said...

Aloha!!
andy and Kimi
looks like such a fun trip--so glad you got to take it. Hayley lives just one block from hukilau cafe--there by hukilau beach --anyhow I love the banana pancakes at that cafe--we go to those same two islands oahu and kauai in Jun when Hayley graduates from BYU-Hawaii--I think I mentioned that at the play--anyway-thanks for the ideas from your pics of what is fun in kauai of course the coast is a given--but I had not heard of shipwreck beach --looks terrific-aloha!
Lynda Call