Mother of the Year

Well, I made it almost half way through 2008 before giving up my chances to win mother of the year. On Monday I took the kids to the park to have a picnic with their cousins and my sister-in-laws. I was playing on the playground toys with Cannon and I took him down a tube slide on my lap. Unfortunately when the slide turned a corner, Cannon's legs got caught on the wall. He cried pretty hard when it first happened but then he seemed pretty content as long as I was holding him. All day Monday he would not put any weight on his right leg and he woke up Tuesday morning still not standing on it. I took him into InstaCare for some x-rays (which was pretty traumatic, he was screaming and crying so hard that I ended up crying) and it was determined that his little right leg is broken. They put a splint on his leg and I have an appointment on Friday with a pediatric orthopedic to get his real cast. Cannon's been such a good little trooper. He was actually pretty happy yesterday until we went over to a neighbor's house for a barbecue and he was mad he couldn't play with all of the other kids. I ended up bringing him home after he had been screaming for about 30 minutes. Poor baby!!

11 comments:

Melissa and Nate said...

Oh no! Poor Cannon! You can't blame yourself-that could have happened to anyone. I'd still call you mother of the year. :)

breyn said...

So sad! Are you kidding, you are the BEST mom! Your boys are ADORABLE (especially Cannon with the bum leg). I LOVE your blog and keeping up with your sweet family (sorry I haven't commented any earlier but I just figured out this whole blog and comment thing; you no me, I'm not so computer savvy). I love you and miss you!! Cute pictures from Hawaii (I was JEALOUS).
Love ya! Breyn

Marielle said...

Poor kid! How sad but those are some super cute pictures of him. Hope he (and you) are feeling better.

Marielle

The Parks Fam said...

Poor Cannon!! That is no fun at all! Isn't it the worst when you take them into the Dr. and they just scream! Its always makes me cry too. You are a GREAT mom by the way, I would definitely say you are still up for Mother of the year.

Missy said...

You know I think you're the best mom ever - you are such an example to me. We love little Cannon-ball and we know he'll recover quickly!

Becky Slivka said...

Poor Cannon, now I really will think your the best mom ever to know how to cater to a one year old in a cast - you are awesome, good luck! ANd thanks again for dinner the other night, we had teh best time.

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor little peanut! Don't feel bad Mom, you're great!

jakenapril said...

What a bummer! Although, I have to say, that the patient looks like he's in good hands now! I am amazed at how much he has grown. What a handsome set of boys you have! I hope my soon to be set of boys are as handsome and as good of friends as yours! Can you give me some pointers?

Megs said...

So, you are always "the mother of the year" in my book...you are such a great mom and a wonderful example to all of those (me) who are "slacking" in the "mom" area!
Poor babe though. Looks like he's handling it pretty well though! CUTE, cute boys! Miss seein' ya!

Anne Woods said...

been there... it was so sad when Cahrlotte broke her leg- though they do look pretty cute in the cast. it will be off before you know it and then it'll be a memory. how are baths going? that was the tricky part!

Rachel said...

Jen told me about that! So sad, so sad. How do you like your new place? Collin and I need to come out and see it! BTW, we got a blog!